Pages

Monday, February 27, 2023

Chasing World Changers Makes Her One

photo credit: SERV International

When I told Susan Schulz I wanted to write a story about her in my blog she said, "Oh! Really? Ok. Do you want me to get the list of all the non-profit groups I've written about so you can talk to them?"

I said, "No. I want to write about YOU writing about all the non-profits!" We both laughed.

Eight years ago she thought she was just volunteering her talents to write a monthly history-based column for Around About Local Media, publisher of several community magazines under the direction of Executive Editor Candi Hannigan. But when Candi asked her to begin to write specifically about people, Susan's heart quickly latched onto and jumped into countless stories of non-profits who are sacrificially helping other people in need. This opened the door for an ongoing glorious adventure.

"It has changed my life for the better. It is amazing how many sparks [of sacrificial non-profits] there are that God has ignited to change the world. And with each one it is usually the same need that has broken their own hearts first. I've been through trauma, so I have a heart for others who have been traumatized. I've heard all these beautiful stories from all these groups, but I couldn't fit it all in the 500-word-limit article each month. So I told my small group that I would like to write a book and tell more of all the stories. I told them I'd like to name it, Chasing World Changers.

Just a glimpse of her long list of stories about non-profits include: Team River Runner, which hosts events on the Ocoee River for PTSD veterans, Wake for Warriors which uses water sports for healing of injured vets and their families, Fishing for Warriors, where Susan fed the group a fish fry after their day on the water, War Angel Farm which rescues and rehabs abused or abandoned animals, The Hope Box which rescues at-risk babies. Hope2Africa meets the needs of children living in extreme poverty by investing in them through mentoring.  Next Step Ministries provides day services to clients calling them "exceptional people with special needs." Reboot Recovery is a trauma recovery course for combat veterans, first responders, and civilians.

Susan lights up when she says, "Writing about non-profits makes me come alive. I feel like it's an answer to my heart's cry--when you experience trauma you need healing. I love being the person behind the scenes, lifting other people up without being in the limelight myself. Investing in people, promoting people is what feeds my hungry soul," 

The people who lead and serve in all of the non-profit groups she's met exude humble, joyful, persevering character. They embraced her as she met and wrote about each group. They took her on their journeys with their hearts and physically, too!  And she had a blast!

Team River Runner Ocoee River trip 
Susan in second row with orange helmet.
photo credit Paul Parsons




War Angel Farms
Susan with three-month-old "Daisy" who was born as a
preemie, rejected by her mother and rescued. 

Reboot Recovery
Friends Susan (3rd from right) and Hope2Africa Founder Becky Harris 
(2nd from right) graduated as a trained leaders
to help others through trauma.



Mostly Mutts Animal Rescue
Susan with Christopher and Roo



Simple Needs GA
Susan with volunteer Mac

Susan sees herself as a professional volunteer. She's also a wife, mother of three, author, writer in several publications, and a women's ministry leader for more than 30 years. She's also a Bible Study Fellowship International graduate and presently working towards becoming a "Fellow" in the C.S. Lewis Institute Fellows Program.

When she's not out chasing world changers, she stays busy on their five acres along the Etowah River. She's adopted and rescued four mini horses who she calls "my boys", as well as one full grown mare, nine chickens, and lots of grand pups.


Susan Browning Schulz
 World Changer

"I cherish promoting the world-changing non-profits because I want to share good news. I feel like I'm on the front lines of Good News because their inspiration is amazing! It is that spark of human spirit that comes from people who will invest in each other. I define what I do like this:  Chasing World Changers is discovering non-profits whose works give us hope and purpose."



"A cheerful heart has a continual feast."
Proverbs 15:15


4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the good news!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article about a great person. Susan is a true blessing in my life and I am grateful that God has put her in my path. I know she will do well in all she does!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article about an awesome woman!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan has been an incredible blessing to our magazines. When we began Around Acworth and Around Kennesaw, she was able to extend her reach beyond Cherokee County, a gift for all of our readers! I often feel guilty that we aren’t able to pay her for all the work she does, but reading this helps me to know that this is something bigger than all of us! Of course - God’s in charge and we are just blessed to be a blessing!! Thank you Polly for sharing Susan’s story! She writes about everyone else, it’s great to hear her heart!

    ReplyDelete

Dearest Reader,
I welcome your comments and suggestions! Engaging with my readers is a blessing to me!
Thanks...and blessings!
Polly